Prequel: well holy crap, “foofery” is an actual word. And here I thought I’d get a neologist’s badge. Bah!
Foofery – Noun
1. a frivolous activity, often of a goofy, silly, and/or foppish manner. Similar to folly.*
2. a semi-serious attempt by one blogger to keep her blogroll (and other things) up to date.
1. This is a very interesting article about MMO Community Enhancement. Go read it. Then read some of the stuff it links to. I think Tobold pointed me at this in a recent post, but unlike Tobold, I agree with almost all the suggestions in there, caveat being (as the article in fact states) that not all solutions are appropriate for all games or all communities. At base, I agree with the fact that community and chat tools remain woefully inadequate in this game of find-me-anywhere portable electrofoolery.
2. Hear ye, oh new Citizens of Blogland! If your blog template doesn’t yet have an RSS feed link (and most should), or if it’s not very prominent, please add it or make it so! RSS = Really Simple Syndication, and it’s how most of the blog addicts serious readers get their daily fix. In normal-speak as opposed to geek-speak, the little magic genies watch for blog post updates and funnel them into a client which shows said updates without requiring a specific visit to a specific blog to check if there’s anything new. (Yes, you’ll still get page hits.) Clients — or “readers” or “aggregators” — include Google Reader, which I can heartily recommend as simple enough for ME to figure out in minutes, especially for those who already have a Google account.** (As an aside, if a page you want to get a feed for doesn’t have an RSS link and you’re using Google, just copy the main page’s URL into the handy-dandy box provided and hey presto! new feed.)
3. I had a third item, but RL-phone aggro just drove it right out of my head (not a difficult feat even without telephonic interruptions). Oh, duh! The foofery itself. If I’m on your blogroll — for which, thanks! — and you’re not on mine, let me know. I’ll put on my Hat of Supreme Taste and Snobbery and decide if you’re worthy. Actually, if you can string two words together coherently and post more than twice a year, you’ll probably make it. My supreme taste and snobbery is very inclusive.
Unnecessary epilogue: what’s with Firefox suddenly thinking I want to save image files (ya know, PICTURES) as html files? Apparently it’s not Firefox’s fault — oh yeah? Then why does http://blahblahblah.jpg try to save as “url.htm”? Someone’s being stupid, and for once it’s not me. Fix! AT ONCE! (I know, I could just use Chrome, but Chrome is a himbo. Firefox is my Heathcliff — heavy and prone to fits of rage, but rugged and handsome.)
(And if you really want to know — or see me torture a helpless metaphor a little more — that makes IE the really creepy guy who lives in your building that you can’t get away from; he pretends to be helpful but what he’s really doing is drilling little holes in the wall of your bathroom so he can watch you in the shower. Or an ex- who does the same. Your baggage, your choice.)
* The grammatical error isn’t mine: “of a goofy […] manner” indeed.
** And if you don’t, I have about a zillion gmail invites left. Just let me know who to send one to.